Data Analysis is an extension of architecting. The exact knowledge of data is required to architecting and designing the system data structures and all their functionalities. With Big Data and Social Media, data analyst role requires the ability to be a mind reader and a forecaster.
Data Analyst Job Description:
An analyst would examine the company goals, customers, products, data, data forms and format, company environment, competitions, social media, resources, etc and use templates, standards, human expertise to build a road map, processes, suggest data structure, possible data format, Q&A, BI foundation to achieve company's goals. The following are some of steps or processes - we will call the following steps "Analyst Processing List":
1) get data - collecting data
2) certify data
4) store the data
6) creates reports
7) create data structure based on the business model
8) determine the organization goals
9) mine data from primary and secondary sources
10) clean and prune data
11) pinpoint trends, correlations and patterns in complicated data sets - long and short term trends
12) provide concise data reports and clear data visualizations
13) design, create and maintain data storage and data system
14) visualization tool and programming languages
15) reports and graphs should be the provided to everyone in the company starting with CEOs.
16) maintaining data and data system -plus updating
17) communicate with other data analysts, developers, architect, business owners, clients, management,
18) creating scripts to every tasks
19) data design and data models
20) extract key business performance data plus social media impact
21) convert data to any format
22) working with large data sets
We do not recommend that an analyst would do all the above. An analyst needs to divide these processes into manageable tasks which communicate and cooperate to handle all the input and output plus apply the Dynamic Business Rules.